Friday, June 21, 2013

Muoi mot

Today was our last day of language class!! It was pretty sad to say goodbye to some of the students, because it was the last time we were going to see some of them. I can't believe this trip is almost over, and I cant believe how much I've experienced these past 2 weeks. After our language calss, we went to our favorite lunch place for the last time ever, and our language teacher joined us. After our lunch, we went to the War Remnants Museum. This was a very different experience than I've ever had at a museum. Having been called the American War Crimes Museum, I knew I would be in for some disturbing exhibits, but I couldn't expect what I actually saw. If Dr. Berman hadn't warned us about the museum, I would have lost it. It put Americans in a very bad light concerning the war. There were things that we had learned about in high school, and I drew connections to, but in America we were taught about how we were the good guys, and this was the opposing viewpoint. It was a very chilling experience, and everyone was very somber walking around, and even once we finished. It really made me question history in general, because no matter where you go, it is biased.

After the museum, we had some free time, and then ended up all going to dinner together at the Rex Hotel. We ran into Dr. Berman on the way over, and so he joined us for dinner!! He told us about how historic the hotel was, and how during the war, soldiers would sit right where we were sitting and have a beer while watching the war go on over the river, about a half mile away. Even though it is a very developed area now, I thought about how the countryside looked and pictured how it must have been so many years ago. It was a really cool experience, and always nice for all of us students to be together.

No comments:

Post a Comment