Friday, May 17, 2013

The Fourth

Said foot injury was worrying me, because I didn't know if I needed stitches or not. I was convinced I did but everyone I said that too said I didn't. Went down to breakfast and found Dr. Berman and Brian in their usual breakfast spots. I went to Brian, who was actually an EMT at a point in his life, and only stopped worrying when he said it'd be fine. Shout out to him for being extremely helpful throughout this injury, and touching my foot, which not many people would do. He taped it together for me so that it would heal a little better. Then once we got to the school, Tin took me to the school nurse and I got to experience the good old Vietnamese healthcare system. The good news is that I'll have a scar to remember my first trip to Vietnam. No sarcasm there. I had previously thought about getting a tattoo saying "not all those who wander are lost" in almost the exact place the gash is, but I think this scar is the perfect alternative. This will absolutely thrill my dad.

This is the nurses office, pretty similar to home.

This is a picture I took while waiting for the nurse.

After my nurse visit, I returned to language class. Anh was my partner today and she gave me a little gel thing with fruit in it, which brought back some serious memories from my childhood. Mom, I don't know if you remember these little things but you used to bring them back from work and I had an obsession with them. In language class we learned how to count, and reinforced the few sentences that we know.

After lunch we headed to the Glass Egg, which was my favorite company so far. The CEO, CFO, and COO all met with us and gave us a tour of their company. It was a really creative environment and looked like the best job ever if you have an artistic ability or interest, and the interest is there for me but not the talent. There was an awesome view from the conference room, and the COO had a French accent that kept my attention throughout the presentation. The CEO was a Vietnamese American, and the CFO was American. The company basically makes 3-D art and sells it to gaming companies, and they had another great business model. At the end of their presentation, they invited us to their club, Lush, and said they would reserve us a table and get us discounted drinks. So that's our plan for Friday.
That's Dr. Berman on the left enjoying the view.
Ho Chi Minh Citay

At dinner time, Anh and some other Vetnamese students took us to a karaoke bar! It was really fun. But there wasn't dinner there so I started losing steam at some point. When we left, us Americans tried to pick up the bill but the other students would not let us!! It's an interesting culture thing because if anyone offered to pay for me, they would not get a single argument from me. Tomorrow is gonna be an easy day. No company visit, we're gonna learn to bargain in language class, and then we have an afternoon of games with the Vietnam students.

2 comments:

  1. scars > tattos, always. most likely will make for funnier stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed with what kannie said. was the karaoke (just realized i never knew how to spell that word) in english or vietnamese?

    ReplyDelete